Friday, June 23, 2006

Marriage for men today is little more than a hostage taking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/opinion/18perrine.html?_r=1&n=Top%&oref=slogin

June 18, 2006
NY Times Op-Ed Contributor

Keeping Divorced Dads at a Distance

By STEPHEN PERRINE

EVERY other weekend for the past four and a half years, I've spent three precious days with my two adolescent daughters. We play tennis in summer, ski in winter, travel when the school schedule allows. But no matter where we are, we're all keenly aware of the thin membrane of secrecy that keeps us from being as close as we were before their mom and I divorced.

Like most divorced fathers, I'm caught in exactly the kind of nightmarish situation that experts on stress say to avoid — a great deal of responsibility, but very little power. I'm the major source of support for my children; my financial obligations are set by the state, and my wages automatically garnished. (If I lost my job tomorrow, and couldn't keep up with my payments, a warrant for my arrest would be issued within two months.) But my influence over how my daughters are being raised is limited, sometimes by decisions their mother makes that I have no input into, and sometimes by their allegiance to her when she and I are at odds..."
___________________
This is why I believe non custodial parents (mostly men) will be the "soccer moms" of the 2008 race for the White House.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Google